Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire


As one who is not versed or experienced in the realm of Indian films yet, I was initially curious but distanced when beginning to watch this film. However, as a fan of Mr. Danny Boyle's work I was very excited to see how he fared in this new genre.

He blew me away.

At first, Slumdog Millionaire appears to be about a young call centre assistant named Jamal who is accused of cheating on the Mumbai version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire". As the film progresses, however, we are taken on flashbacks through his childhood and teen years to learn how each and every one of his correct answers is, in fact, remembered truthfully because of distinct moments in his life. What we are treated to is, in fact, a lush and intense love story about an orphaned boy, Jamal (Dev Patel), who falls in love with an orphaned girl, Latika (Freida Pinto), and continually loses and re-rescues her at different points in their lives.

After reading over my brief synopsis I've realized that I simply cannot do this film justice in talking about it; it must be seen to be experienced. There is so much that I could write about - the realistic depictions of slum life in Mumbai, the strength of brotherhood, the terrors of manipulation, the hope in true love, the coming together of a nation to support one of its own - but I simply must leave it to you, the reader, to see this film for yourself.

I have yet to be disappointed with Danny Boyle's work (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Sunshine etc). The man knows how to tell a story and tell it the most intriguing and satisfying way possible through the medium of film. Instead of laying out a story for us, he intersects the pieces of Jamal's life throughout the entirety of the "Millionaire" show, each question becoming more and more suspenseful, each life event tugging harder and harder at our heartstrings.

Now that I have seen this film, I completely understand why it just won Best Picture at the Golden Globes. And boy is it wonderful to get wrapped in a love story where you actually care if the lovers get together or not in the end. Congratulations, Mr. Boyle. You're still up there in my books.

No comments: