Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I just don't understand what all the hype is.

I mean, it's a great movie. Fantastic, even. Brad Pitt gives a marvelous performance, Cate Blanchett is entrancing as ever, and the special effects are incredibly well done. Of all of the Academy Award nominations, I can certainly agree with those for special effects and cinematography. Even best actor or actress. But best picture? No, I can't see that.

In case you haven't been following this phenomenon, "Benjamin Button" follows the story of a man who is born a shrivelled old man and ages backward, gradually becoming physically younger the older he gets. What occurs is a lovely and well written story about love, loss, ageing and finding the strength to let go. The messages are powerful, and we follow the story through the eyes of the dying Daisy (Blanchett) who is reflecting on her past through her daughter, asking her to read through Benjamin's old journal.

It is truly a beautiful story and it's beautifully told. At some points slow moving, it has its moments of "do we really need to flesh this out any more?" But on the whole the film flows smoothly from moment to moment in Benjamin's life. One of the most exciting sequences involves a first person perspective of an attacking German submarine as Benjamin's boat attempts to ram into it. Very harrowing and intense.

With all this being said, however, there just isn't anything particularly special about this movie that I would think merits so many Oscar nominations. Honestly, I would put this film on the shelf next to the likes of Tim Burton's "Big Fish". Both films are incredible stories, both indulge in themes of age, love and loss, and both have a sense of magic about them. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" certainly makes my list for one of the best in 2008, but I'm not sure if I'd put it in my top 5.

No comments: